Have you ever walked through a museum and wondered why its staff chose to feature the artifacts you saw?
Cornelia King, Chief of Reference at the Library Company of Philadelphia shares her answer to that question in Part 2 of our 3-Part launch series of the Ben Franklin’s World podcast.
About the Show
Ben Franklin’s World is a podcast about early American history.
It is a show for people who love history and for those who want to know more about the historical people and events that have impacted and shaped our present-day world.
Each episode features a conversation with an historian who helps us shed light on important people and events in early American history.
In this episode, we converse with Cornelia King, Chief of Reference at the Library Company of Philadelphia.
Connie discusses “That’s So Gay: Outing Early America,” an exhibition that she curated for the Library Company. In addition to providing us with information about the history of gay men and women in early America, Connie gives us a behind-the-scenes look at how she decided what artifacts, books, and ephemera to display in “That’s So Gay” and how she sought to interpret those items for the education and enjoyment of visitors.
What You’ll Discover
- More about the job responsibilities of the Chief of Reference at the Library Company of Philadelphia
- More about the kinds of exhibitions that the Library Company puts on
- How Library Company exhibition curators decide what types of artifacts to display and how to interpret them
- An overview of the exhibition “That’s So Gay: Outing Early America”
- Connie’s favorite artifact in “That’s So Gay”
- Information about future Library Company exhibitions
Links to People, Places, and Publications
- Cornelia King
- Library Company of Philadelphia Exhibitions
- Library Company Blog
- Twitter: @librarycompany
Do you have a question, comment, or suggestion?
Enjoy the Podcast? Why Not Subscribe?
Ratings & Reviews
If you enjoy this podcast, please give it a rating and review.
Positive ratings and reviews help bring Ben Franklin's World to the attention of other history lovers who may not be aware of our show.